Thousands of drivers are involved in a hit and run car accident each year. Hundreds of accidents go unreported, and hundreds more go unresolved. Often, guilty drivers flee the scene of an accident if they have no insurance or no drivers’ license. Both of these are criminal acts which can land the guilty party in jail. If you are the victim of a hit and run car accident, do not take matters in your own hands. Contact a hit and run lawyer right away.
Steps to Take Following a Hit and Run Car Accident
- Write down the driver’s license number. If pen and paper is not available, use a cell phone to take pictures of the fleeing car.
- Get the make and model of the car. Get the color, the year of the car and the make.
- Try to get an idea of the driver (male or female).
- Call 911 right away. Report any injuries or any damage to private property.
- Look for witnesses. Check the area to see if anyone saw the accident. Get names and cell phone numbers.
- Contact your insurance company. Give them the accident report number.
- Go to the local hospital for an exam, even if no external injuries are noticeable.
- Contact a hit and run lawyer. Do not wait, talk to an experienced lawyer concerning your rights.
What to Expect From Your Lawyer
Your lawyer is looking out for your best interests. If you are a victim of a hit and run, chances are you have no idea who hit you. Now you have to deal with losing time off from work, in addition to paying your hospital bills. Your attorney can help protect your rights and compensation that you might be entitled.
Contact Jeffrey Dawson to schedule a free consultation and discuss your hit and run car accident case.